search for




 

Clinical Experience of Ultrasound-Guided, Vacuum-Assisted Breast Biopsy for Mammographic Microcalcifications: Combination with Wire Localization
J Surg Ultrasound 2018;5:53-60
Published online November 30, 2018
© 2018 The Korean Surgical Ultrasound Society

SeungSang Ko, Man Sik Shin, Ki Won Chun, Kang Young Rhee, Heeboong Park

Department of Surgery, Park Surgical Clinic, Suwon, Korea
Correspondence to: Heeboong Park
Department of Surgery, Park Surgical Clinic, 203, Geowerk, 7 Hyowon-ro 256-gil, Gwonseon-gu, Suwon 16571, Korea
Tel: +82-31-233-5571
Fax: +82-31-233-5955
E-mail: dr@pabc.net
Received July 9, 2018; Revised August 16, 2018; Accepted October 1, 2018.
Journal of Surgical Ultrasound is an Open Access Journal. All articles are distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Abstract
Purpose: This study examined the usefulness of ultrasound-guided vacuum-assisted breast biopsy (Sono-guided VABB) for mammographic microcalcification.
Methods: A total of 1,399 lesions of 1,364 patients with BI-RADS Category 4 Mammographic microcalcification were included. Most microcalcifications were not observed on ultrasound (99.4%). Sono-guided (or Mammo-guided) J-wire localization was first performed for the suspicious microcalcification area, and the location of the J-wire and calcification was determined with mammography in most cases (98.5%). Sono-guided VABB was performed after removing the J-wire without a stereotactic device. On the other hand, Sono-guided VABB was performed directly without J-wire localization when microcalcification lesions were identified by mass on ultrasonography (21 cases, 1.5%). In all cases, calcification was confirmed by specimen mammography and the pathology was performed. A follow-up examination was performed to confirm the presence of complications.
Results: In 1,399 cases, 188 cases (13.4%) were diagnosed as a malignancy (153 cases of ductal carcinoma in situ, 32 cases of IDC and 3 cases of other cases). The remaining 1,211 cases (86.6%) were diagnosed as benign. There were no significant complications during follow up after VABB.
Conclusion: Sono-guided VABB can be used effectively if combined with wire localization, even if mammographic microcalcification lesions are not fully identified by ultrasonography.
Keywords : Mammography, Calcification, Ultrasonography, Image-guided biopsy


November 2018, 5 (2)